Wednesday, January 18, 2017

YOB - Whistler, BC

Whistler-Blackcomb, BC    1-5-2017

Mid span of the Peak 2 Peak Gondola.  The consummate Whistler Vista 
I turn 40 this year.  So I announced to Elizabeth the other day that it would be "the year of Brian".  She mostly laughed and roller her eyes; but secretly I have vowed to make it my year.  I figure this is my chance to spend money frivolously on unnecessary things to make myself feel young.  As if a 3 year old and a 17 month old don't make me feel young enough.   

To start the year of Brian (YOB) off in grand fashion, E graciously agreed to 5 days solo with the children so I could go to Whistler/Blackcomb, British Columbia to do some much needed skiing.  Mind you it has been since 2011/2012 since I last skied. So this operation could end up badly.   

1st Refreshment at SFO en route
My flight departed CLE super early, so by the time I hit SFO it was noon my time which seems to be the unspoken rule of ok beer time.  (it was only 9:00AM in San Franciso so I got some weird looks, but its an airport so it seemed to be ok)

I met up with an old Reno ski friend who I used to rip it up with and some of his friends and their friends.  Everyone turned out to be great to hang out with.  It was a interesting group and everyone added their own dynamic that worked great.  I will say for all the complications that some of the people had with luggage, flights, work etc... I think I learned a little bit about just going with it and enjoying the adventure no matter what happens.  I'm not sure I would have been that good.  Thanks guys for being so good with the world when things seemed to turn crappy.

Happy to be skiing!  How can you have a bad day here?

1st day selfie at the top of 7th Heaven lift

Lets just say day one was not warm.  At least the temps were positive numbers (in Fahrenheit at least)

2nd day was a lot nicer.  The scenery was perfect.  Top of the Blackcomb Gondola

Day two made up for any crappy weather we had on day one.





Whats skiing without Apres Skiing?
I'm happy to say it's like riding a bike.  I got right back into it and ripped it up again.  Or at least my legs felt like I did.   60,000 vertical feet and three days later I was headed back to the flatlands of Ohio.  My ski karma was recharged and ready for the next time.

Dallas on the way out on my final flight back to CLE

Not a bad start to the Year of Brian!

2 comments:

  1. It must be the year.....ten years since I had been on skies and yesterday I found myself at Mount rose. The weather was incredible perfect Nevada blue sky. Not the adventure you had but still fantastic and so happy to hear you are tearing it up again. It has nothing to do with age...right??!?! 40 means nothing;) miss ya, Shonilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you. I figure its all an adventure once you hit 40!

    ReplyDelete