Sunday, November 11, 2012

I Survived Cabo Marina


Elizabeth raising the Mexican Courtesy flag

11-11-12 - Cabo San Lucas. MX

I survived the Cabo San Lucas marina, just to now be trying to survive Cabo San Lucas anchorage.  I know it's a hard life but someone has to do it.  In reality there is nothing relaxing about either of these locations.  One benefit of both is that you can have your very own dance party aboard every single night as you listen to the cheesy semi-last year American Dance music blare over the marina and now the anchorage until the wee hours of the morning.  The marina has that nice stuffy hot sweaty feel like a club while the anchorage has the benefit of making you feel drunk all day as you roll back in forth in the endless swell and tourist jet-ski, panga and dance party on the water boat wakes.  (We did just witness a spontaneous fireworks display off the  beach just now, probably for holy day; Sunday)

So if you can't tell Cabo has been a crazy adjustment from 2 weeks of sailing down the coast, alone on night watch with no sounds or other people to talk to; spending a few days in remote Baja peninsula villages with dirt roads (if any)  to a crazy harbor with apparently few rules and tourists everywhere and the associated debauchery that they bring.  I can honestly say it like no other place I've been.  Hopefully I will not have to be in another place like it for a long while either. 

Cabo San Lucas Marina

I can now say I've experienced Cabo and I'd like to leave please.  Alas, we have a few days to kill while waiting for some weather to blow thru the Sea of Cortez.  So, I might as well enjoy it while I can.  A trip to Lovers Beach and the sea arch is planned, a day of watching drunken idiot tourists be, well, drunken idiot tourists will follow.  I have made up a sign I now carry that says "No Gracias" so the people selling things on the street know that I do not need any Cuban cigars, carved wooden turtles, chicklets, "almost free" silver necklaces and bracelets, blow, coke, weed or hookers.  There is some debate about the people, especially children, begging on the street.  It's certainly not pleasant to see and you can read about the intricacies and nuances of this situation if you wish.  But it doesn't seem to fit the mood of this post. 

View from the cockpit.  Not too shabby

Sunset over the anchorage
Cabo is a place of juxtapositions.  People begging next to multi million dollar sport fishing boats (all with American hailing ports) Huge fancy new hotels with much lower class living situations just out of sight and amazing green mountains in the distance.  Tourists here for a few days to party and locals doing their best to make a living off them.  Its great to have made it here and I can't wait to experience the slower less commercial side of Mexico.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian and Elizabeth,
    I don't know where your travels may take you, but I spent some terrific time a couple of years ago up the Sea of Cortez in the Laretto area with lots of authentic, human scale activity.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete