Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The End is Almost Here

5/2/12 - Reno, NV
I suppose I can finally release the confidential information for public consumption....The End is Near!  And I couldn't be more excited.  As of today we have officially given our American dream back to those who gave it to us.
 8320 Opal Station is legally not ours anymore.  I never thought I'd be happier to say I am NOT a home owner.  It has been a long battle to get to this point and I would not wish our predicament on anyone; and now it's finally over!  Everything (and I mean everything except a bag of clothes and our boat) we own is packed into a storage unit; paid cash upfront for 2 months in a little furnished condo; and have truly been enjoying the new found simplicity and togetherness we have gained by not inhabiting 8320 Opal Station.
As of today we have both informed our employers of our plans to leave and travel for a year or so.  There's probably nothing scarier for a guy like me than to tell your boss that you are going to be leaving a great job you enjoy and have been at for 12 years and going to be unemployed, by your own choice.  It seems fairly backwards, especially in this economy we find ourselves in.  Don't worry these facts are not lost on me.  Sometimes you just need to make a decision....Looks like we did.
View from Eagle Rock
 Finally, The end of my single life is here. I proposed to Elizabeth last weekend; and thankfully she said yes. I guess she stuck with me for 14 years so far, so we must be doing something right, right? All I can say is thankfully you only need to do that once, I was nervous as hell trying to remember my rehearsed speech, which I pretty much botched, but apparently I got the critical part out and I believe she said yes. Those moments were mostly a blur to me. Atop Eagle Rock on the West shore of Lake Tahoe seemed appropriately beautiful to pop the question.
Thinking: "I hope this goes as planned"

"Why are you acting so weird"

So life's moving forward at quite a pace right now.  I can't wait to be moving forward at 5 knots in the near future!
looks like we'll be together for a while

1 comment:

  1. Great post - I really get a sense of both excitement and relief. Big decisions are hard to make and we struggle with whether they are right but in the end we feel good that we have made them knowing they cannot be reversed.

    ReplyDelete